Monday, October 6, 2008

my path to the warrior

September 2007:

I always wanted to become a film maker. In 2007, when I finished college, I desperately wanted to study Filmmaking in FTII, Pune. I wrote the test for Film Direction (which is written by a few thousand students every year) and got through to the interview (along with a lucky 29 others).
However I did not pass the interview. And that turned into one of the best adventures of my life…
I returned home and was promptly offered a role as an Actions coordinator with Greenpeace (One of the most exciting jobs that this exciting organization has to offer) .A good friend (and also Greenpeace India’s Communications director) told me ,” Their loss is our gain,” and I had an inkling that somehow the universe had made the right choices for me, for such is the way of the cosmos.
So there I was.
I took the job 6 days before my 21st birthday, on the 12th of September 2007. I enjoyed a delicious cake in my own name on the 18th September and just like that, I was in.
Greenpeace: a home to idealistic Environmentalists across the Universe

July 2007:


I was completely and utterly frustrated with not being able to accomplish enough ( a disease all idealists tend to suffer from…)
I was offered a position on board the Rainbow Warrior , the flagship of Greenpeace.
I couldn’t resist.
So…. After careful considerations, lasting for about 3 seconds,
I resigned.

Leaving behind good memories, a small set of shoes to fill in,
Leaving behind a laptop and a small part of the table,
Leaving behind friends and very close mates,
I moved onto another piece of Greenpeace.


September 2008,

I walked a fair distance to get here. But here I am, A journey of 22 years concludes with another journey. On the 18th of this month I turned 22 , onboard the Rainbow warrior. And I am glad I’m here, not anywhere else in the universe. I feel like I’m home, a bit strange when your home takes you in all corners of this beautiful planet.
But if you think about it, it’s the perfect home to have.
It was a rather funny occasion, We had Indian food ( in the honor of yours truly ) and some funny elements on board (also known by the name of annkatrin) decided to hide all the cutlery and make everyone eat with their hands.
The pandemonium that resulted, was completely “not my fault” ( even though I enjoyed it immensely).
There were about 10 different nationalities on board , and none of then had ever eaten food with their hands. I leave the rest to your imagination. However, everyone did have a lot of fun (and a lot of gulab jamuns) to the music of Nusrat fateh ali khan in the background. It was over all a rather lovely evening.(all except for the speech I had to make in the end, disastrous is the word for that one) .
The following day we watched Om Shanti Om , in the hold. In hammocks , with fresh lassi (Yes I mean fresh lassi, and pretty good one, thanks to Joanna and dafna) . I never thought that thew firings would be able to sit through all of it , I mean 3 hours straight is not a child play, but they managed really well. In fact by then end of it, some of them were dancing to dard-e-disco (while the others were nursing minor headaches due to the whole reincarnating return of shahrukh khan).
But stangely enough, they were all very happy .
Un-fucking-believable.

Welcome to the rainbow warrior

1 comment:

smeedha said...

beta! tu aa gaya!!! a la OSO...am so proud of you me child, you are spreading the fever around the world...and what better than OSO..lol...would have loved to see the expressions on their faces jee...
wonderful to read touching..here's to the some of those best decisions that life made for you...